Finding Your Oil
Of course the thing you need to ensure is that your oil is approved by BMW/Mini, look for BMW Longlife-04 approved oils. Check to make sure the oil is approved for your country/region.
Remember, less friction means less heat and wear on your engine. Your oil is one of the most important things you can do to keep your Mini running properly.
After a lot of searching this is the oil I decided to use here in Germany (it is said that the BMW/Mini oil is actually produced by Castrol — I’ve read that often, but don’t know if it’s true.)
This particular oil in no longer being produced, I still see it advertised, but …? There is a oW-30 from Castrol certified for BMW Longlife 04
This is Castrol’s best , full synthetic, low viscosity technology. Castrol EDGE Sport 0W-40 is recommended for modern and high revving technology engines in performance sports cars, luxury sedans and turbo-diesels.
Castrol EDGE Sport 0W-40 is a full synthetic, SAE 0W-40, API SM/CF, ACEA A3/B3/B4/C2/C3 engine oil formulated for modern, high performance engines in both petrol and diesel passenger and light commercial vehicles, naturally aspirated or turbocharged.
Castrol EDGE Sport 0W-40 has been road and race tested over millions of kilometres under the most diverse and gruelling climatic conditions. The exceptional characteristics of Castrol EDGE Sport 0W-40 ensure that all engine components, from the valve train to the bearings are fully lubricated to provide ultimate protection and optimum engine performance.
Castrol EDGE Sport 0W-40 provides outstanding wear protection in performance engines designed to run at their optimum level on lower viscosity oils. Castrol EDGE Sport 0W-40 should be used in engines where maximum efficiency and protection is demanded.
PRODUCT FEATURES & BENEFITS
• Meets the Extreme Maximum Horsepower (EMP) claim. Castrol EDGE Sport 0W-40 is extreme tested to deliver maximum horsepower up to 45% longer than other synthetic oils.
• Passes the demanding European Fuel Economy Test M111FE. That means lower engine friction for better performance and/or fuel economy.
• Meets new specs: ACEA C2/C3 recommended for turbo diesel applications especially diesel particulate filers.
• Superior thermal stability ensures no breakdown in formulation and minimal engine deposits for cleaner engine internals and ultimate engine protection.
• Free flowing 0W-40 viscosity significantly reduces friction (viscous drag), helping to deliver more engine power, or can contribute to superior fuel efficiency and reduced emissions.
• Synthetic reserve provides extended drain intervals by resisting thermal and physical degradation Castrol EDGE Sport 0W-40 meets ACEA A3/B3/B4/C2/C3.
• Helps engines run cooler, contributing to longer engine life• Engineered to minimize oil consumption, ensuring maximum potential is available from the oil throughout the service interval.
• Exceptional flow characteristics in low ambient temperatures ensure engine protection from the first moments of ignition, minimizing wear and damage.
• Unique controlled phosphorus and low chlorine additive technology contribute to sustained catalyst performance and oxygen sensor life.
• Excellent light duty diesel engine performance; suits modern direct injection engines including the latest engines with Diesel Particulate Filters.
Castrol EDGE Sport 0W-40 exceeds many current lubricant performance standards and exceeds the most demanding European, American and Japanese service requirements. Castrol EDGE Sport 0W-40 is approved by the majority of motor manufacturers that have systematic testing
and approval regimes.
Note: The low friction characteristics of Castrol EDGE Sport 0W-40 make it unsuitable for most motorcycles that incorporate wet clutches in combined engine and transmission systems.
Castrol’s prime recommendation for this application is Castrol Power 1 Racing R4.
• American Petroleum Institute (API) Service Classifications: Petrol : SM, (SL, SJ, SH and all superseded classifications):
Diesel : CF
• Association of Constructors of Europèan Automobiles (ACEA):
¾ A3 (Stay-in-grade, extended drain intervals for high performance petrol engines).
¾ B3 (Stay-in-grade for high performance indirect injection diesel engines).
¾ B4 (Stay-in-grade for modern high performance direct injection diesel engines).
¾ C2 (Fuel efficient stay-in-grade, high performance, catalyst compatible for both petrol and diesel engines including those with DPF*).